Ryedale & District Veteran’s Bowls League,
25th February 2021
Dear Club Secretaries, Captain’s and Representatives.
Ryedale & District Veteran’s Bowls League : 2021 Season
Following the Government’s recent announcement on the roadmap to gradually easing of the lockdown restrictions it is clear that the lockdown restrictions will not be fully lifted until, at the earliest, 21st June.
Prior to this date there are gradual steps on easing but will still be faced with some restrictions on household mixing, restricted numbers allowed on premises, pavilion/clubhouse opening and indoor use, not least still required to minimise travel and car sharing so it is difficult to believe that we can return to any kind of competitive bowling until the lockdown is fully released on 21st June.
The Committee have been considering the best way forward in facilitating the resumption of competitive bowling which most of us are looking forward to and feel it is best if we look beyond the date when hopefully all restrictions will be lifted.
With this in mind I would like to put forward the following proposal:
- Sundella, Ossie Ashcroft Cups and all Ryedale Competitions be cancelled for 2021.
- This will allow headroom to concentrate on the league fixture programme and to this end propose starting the programme with the first match on Wednesday 30th June, playing every Wednesday, with the final match on 1st September therefore allowing home and away fixtures to complete the programme. Any postponed matches due to weather will have to re-arranged on days other than a Wednesday or right at the end of the season.
- As the league fixture programme would be completed there is no apparent reason not to have promotion and relegation to make the matches more competitive.
- We realise some club’s and there members may be hesitant in returning to competitive bowling that is why we have delayed the start to the end of June when, if we are led to believe,all restrictions will be lifted and we can all go about our normal activities and should have confidence that outdoor bowling is a safe environment.
- Should there be any slippage to the roadmap even the last step 21st June there is still some headroom to our first match on 30th June. Heaven forbid but if we have to go back into lockdown at this point in the year then the season will have to be cancelled.
- It is understandable if any club/teams are not prepared to play in the Ryedale Vets League this year. In this case it would not be appropriate to penalise club’s/teams so in this event we would not be able to play on a promotion and relegation basis as you could not relegate a club for not participating but we hope that leaving the start date to the end of June will give confidence to all clubs to participate.
There is no desperate need for an immediate response suffice to say competitive league bowling will not start on the previously planned date of Wednesday 5th May.
Would clubs please discuss with its members and let me have your views in due course on the above proposed way forward for the 2021 bowling season.
In the meantime keep safe and well
Regards and best wishes,